Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vegan Vegetable-Tofu Chili

I have really grown to respect tofu. I am finding I can do so much with this high protein low fat food.  Tonight I used it to make another favorite CHILI!!!

A quick note on my recipes. I am on a very strick VLCD diet. On this plan even my choice of veggies and the serving sizes are restricted. You will notice a very smal amount of tomato. Feel free to add more tomato sauce if you are are a more forgiving plan. If using more sauce you can simmer it a bit longer.
You will also notice I am using Shallot. This diet does not allow onions due to carb content. Feel free to use a big wonderful onion if not on my plan. Also my plan severely limits fats. Depending on you plan you may use more olive oil as well. So following my diet the chili pictured below is not as saucy as it could be.






 Vegan Vegetable-Tofu Chili

1 package extra firm tofu.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Veggie Sweet mini peppers. Halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic. Fine dice
1 shallot. Fine dice
1 cup chinese eggplant. Halved and sliced
1 cup zucchini. Halved and sliced
1 cup mushrooms. Sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoon Hunt's salt free tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Drain tofu. Place tofu between many layers of paper towel. Place a bowl on top of wrapped tofu and let drain 20 minutes. Slice and dice the tofu. You and also tear the tofo into small uneven shapes. Heat oil in nonstick pan or skillet. Add shallot, garlic, baby sweet peppers. Saut'e 2 or 3 minutes. Add the zucchini. Saute 2 minutes. Add the eggplant and mushrooms. Saut'e a minute. Add water by the tablespoon as needed. Add tofu. Add the spices and water as needed. Cook a few minutes. Mix the tomato sauce and the tomato paste. Add to the chili. Simmer as long as you like. I like my zucchini to not be to soft. The longer you simmer the more water you will need to add. 

No comments:

Post a Comment