Monday, June 20, 2011

Turkey "Taco" Lettuce wraps



I love Mexican food. Being on a diet means missing out on those great flavors. This recipe I made tonight really filled the bill!!! Regular Mexican is full of fat. Not with this recipe. All the flavor without all the fat. Ground 99% lean turkey breast instead of ground beef. As a filler and to get in all my vegetables the meat mixture is loaded with shredded cabbage and chopped mushroom. I even made my 18 year old son taste it. He said I would eat that. My 5/1 plan right now does not allow me extras. But to make a great family meal serve them low fat sour cream, low fat shredded cheese, and salsa.
The key is to purchase the ground turkey meat that is 99% fat free.
My problem is that I’m a sucker for the flour tortillas.  But I don’t need their calories.   A 6″ round flour tortilla has 94 calories. So in this recipe use lettuce to wrap your "tacos"!!!!
I’ve learned that when you make your own taco seasoning mix that it is far healthier.  Compared to the store-bought, pre-packaged taco seasoning, the homemade version has less sodium, no sugar, no preservatives and no msg.




Here’s the recipe which serves 1 person or 2 with sides:
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove chopped fine
2 green onions fine sliced


3/4 cup fine shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (I used shiitake)


6 ounces  99% lean ground turkey


1/4 tsp cumin


1/2 tsp chili powder


1/4 tsp paprika


1/4 tsp oregano


1/4 tsp  chipotle pepper  


2 tablespoons canned tomato sauce


8  lettuce leaves 
Heat oil in skillet. Add green onion and garlic. Add turkey and brown. Add the Cabbage and mushroom. Add water as needed cook 5 minutes. Add dry spices and tomato sauce. Cook about 10 minutes adding water as needed again. Serve with lettuce leaves.

It’s so good, I could eat it for dinner twice a week!  Let me know if you make it and what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment