Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fire Rosted Whole Red Snapper on Deconstructed Ratatouille

Today was a very rough diet day. Outside influences and stresses really put a strain on my willpower. So I decide to "take it to the house" for my dinner tonight!! This meal is old school baby!! Oh and it is totally diet friendly. I even got out my solid copper cookware to make this one. Think of this as classic french with a diet twist. I love ratatouille. Eggplant, tomato, zucchini, peppers, shallots, and garlic.   The real recipe uses lots of olive oil and lots of time to cook. I have deconstructed it. Same ingredients. But instead of 1/4th cup oil I used a few sprays from my olive oil pump. Red snapper is awesome cooked whole. This dish can be cooked in the oven but I do it on my wood pellet grill. The pellet grill uses real compressed wood pellets to make the heat.  It has a real wood flame. Since the pellets require forced air to burn it turns my gill into a Convection oven as well. The hint of wood smoke in the red snapper is so good!!!


Fire Rosted Whole Red Snapper on Deconstructed Ratatouille

1 eggplant sliced thine
1 baby yellow squash sliced thin
1 baby zucchini sliced thin
1 shallot fine diced
2 cloves garlic fine diced
1 roma tomato sliced thin
4 black olives sliced thin
salt
pepper
olive oil
whole red snapper

When you buy the Snapper have the fish monger clean and scale the fish. Wash the fish and pat dry. Salt and pepper inside and out. In a baking pan layer the veggies like in the picture. Top with the chopped garlic, shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Give it a few good sprays of olive oil from a oil pump. Lay seasoned fish on top. Spray fish with a couple of pumps of olive oil as well. Cook in a regular oven at 400 for 15 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the fish. On a grill cook on indirect medium heat about 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment